NOTICE FROM GRANITE COUNTY REGARDINGGRANITE COUNTY SOLID WASTE DISTRICT’S POLICY AMENDMENTS
NOTICE FROM GRANITE COUNTY REGARDING
GRANITE COUNTY SOLID WASTE DISTRICT’S POLICY AMENDMENTS
Granite County Solid Waste District, governed by the Board of Granite County Commissioners (“Board”), will do business with any legitimate, private garbage hauling business. Currently, Granite Disposal is the only privately-operated garbage hauling business that hauls garbage to the local Solid Waste District sites, but it is a free market. To make the system more equitable and fairer, the Board has amended its applicable policies, effective January 1, 2024. Here is a summary of the newly amended policy:
• Private garbage hauling companies have three options which include, to have weight scales equipped on their trucks to weigh customers garbage separately, or pay as they go for each truckload, or allowing their customers to form an informal co-operative in which base solid waste units, assessed on their real property tax statements, are fully pooled. The private garbage hauling business is responsible for all annual dumping overages, but may pass those costs onto their customers.
• Quarterly reporting to Granite County, including updating customer lists, is required of all private garbage hauling businesses under all options in the first bulleted paragraph.
• To be part of a cooperative described above, members must be real property owner in Granite County and must be issued a dump number card.
• Taxpayers that are members of such a cooperative, using the services of a private hauling business, must pay you as go for all garbage the taxpayer brings directly to a County Solid Waste Site. This means you cannot use your base solid waste unit or units from your tax statement when the customer hauls any garbage directly because as a cooperative member, you have already agreed to pool all of your unit(s).
• For more information, contact Granite County Solid Waste Clerk, Scott Rettig at 406-859-3831; or call the privately-run garbage hauling company, Granite Disposal at 406-288-3348.
Dated this 7th day of November, 2023.
Board of Granite County Commissioners